“Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage/journey to Zion.”- Psalm 84:5

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Getting Ready To Plant

It is that crazy, busy , not enough hours in the day kind of time. Things are growing (even the weeds...sigh) and we are moving as fast as we can to prep the ground to plant. In a lot of ways we feel so behind. But we keep putting one foot in front of the other as fast as we can. We hope to be planting in a few days. As my Handsome works so hard to weed I am re-potting the hot and sweet pepper plants on the plant table.


Here is our Lavage plant. You only need one of these per family. In the early spring we can use it in our food like celery. Later you can dehydrate the leaves to flavor stews. Go HERE to learn all about this plant.

Our apple and pear trees are in bloom. They are such a treat to see.


I had a lot of fun taking pictures of Handsome while he was making the 3 extra plant beds for this year. We are hoping to increase our green bean crop for the 3 house holds. ( MIL's, BIL's, and our households ) We are hoping to get enough to eat fresh and freeze for the winter.



While Handsome and the boys were reclaiming and building the area for the plant beds I was weeding and thinning the Asian green beds.


Fruits of my labor....greens for dinner.


14 comments:

  1. We are working hard here too. And, the weather has been less than cooperative. We have tonight and tomorrow before the rain and thunderstorms return.

    My muscles are not appreciating the sudden workload after a winter of rest. There is a part of me very happy for the break the rain will bring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like things are going well. Glad you are getting the planting and things done that you want. :)

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! So very industrious! Looks promising! It is still raining here.....
    Hope your time is multiplied and you get all you plan, finished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Mary...everything looks so green and luscious :)

    I also have Lavage, and yes, you only need one per family...mine is growing and I am ready to put it in the ground.

    Thank you so much for sharing sweet friend,

    Mrs. M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Mary, you've been hard at work! I can't wait to harvest some greens, and everything else is growing here. Looks like you have things well in hand for vegetables!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love coming here...I just close my eyes, well I can't close or I wouldn't see, but enjoy your world...such different plants. I learn so much...things I have never heard of. Thanks for sharing..I so enjoy my visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will not be jealous!...hehe! I've had to put all outdoor stuff on hold and our weather has been far from conducive to good gardening. Would you believe that we have a possibility of snow on Saturday night again??? ACK! I'm not complaining but it sure makes it chilly to be outside still. Just today, I had to put a knitted hat on the baby to take her outside because of the cool temperatures and wind.

    Hmmm...sounds like I need to get a cup of coffee or tea! I'm sitting here a bit chilled.

    It's been good catching up and while I think life should slow down, I know that it doesn't...hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary,

    Wow! Looks like a lot of hard work, but I am sure it will be worth it when the crops are ready to be harvested.

    -L. Rose

    P.S. Did you receive my email?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sweet Mary-Girl! Oh, I just LOVE to see your fruit trees in bloom, and your greens coming up out of the ground! I started to thin my romaine lettuce today...it wasn't up enough to thin before we left for FL, and now it's difficult to thin because it's so far along! I will do some more tomorrow, and maybe I'll just munch on what I thin :-) Is that what you do? Eat the baby greens you thin?

    I am trying to blog at least 5X a week for the next few weeks...I need to get back into it, I've been away so long! Looking forward to chatting with you soon, dearest!

    Much love,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lori,

    Long time no see and sooooo glad you are back. ((hugs)) Yes, we eat the thinning's. Very tedious but well worth it when you don't have fresh greens all winter. [o=

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like your garden is doing very well. Isn't it wonderful to finally get outside and enjoy the garden and all that it produces?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here I am, late again! You all work so, so hard. I know you are rewarded with all the yummy food get. And eating by the season is something to strive for. I would like to eat more local foods.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary, I like the basket very pretty! It is wonderful weather to plant and enjoy the garden. I bet it smells wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your garden, I am a new follower and will be looking forward to your posts!

    ***I loved your comment over at Far Above Rubies and wanted to thank you for standing firm in the faith!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, each sweet comment brightens my day. Blessings!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...