“Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage/journey to Zion.”- Psalm 84:5

Friday, August 26, 2011

Drying Zucchini and Recipes



August and September has now been officially titled my MOST busy months of the year. ( it seems to be a pattern now for the last 5 yrs) I am trying to bring in the harvest of zucchini, green beans,greens and hubby is buying peaches to process( along with craft making and getting ready to start school). I have been praying and trying to find plastic free ways to preserve food. One thing that I felt lead to is go back to a very old way and try to dry some of the produce but with a modern twist of a dehydrator. This year I am drying shredded zucchini and sliced zucchini. I will be making some chocolate zucchini bread and a sliced zucchini casserole this winter.


How I did it..



Shredded Zucchini

I shredded the zucchini and then dehydrated it at 125 degrees for about 5-6 hours. Let it cool and store in glass containers till you need it.

Here is a recipe I found HERE.



"zucchini-rhubarb bread".
***************************************

Ingredients:

3/4 of a cup of dehydrated shredded zucchini
1/2 of a cup of dried rhubarb
1 1/4 cups of warm water
3 teaspoons of dried egg powder or 3 fresh eggs
1 cup of melted butter
2 cups of sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
2 1/2 cups of white flour
1 teaspoon each of baking powder and baking soda
A pinch of salt

Before starting your bread pre-heat your oven to a temperature of 325 degrees. While waiting for the oven to obtain its temperature grease two small 3 by 7 inch bread pans.

In a medium size bowl combine your dehydrated zucchini, the rhubarb and warm water together and hand mix well. Let this mixture sit for approximately 30 minutes.

In another medium bowl beat the eggs well and add the butter, the two cups of sugar, and the vanilla extract. Once again mix well by hand-stirring. It is now time to add the rehydrated zucchini and rhubarb along with some cinnamon, cloves and ginger. Stir the mixture again to combine all the ingredients.

In yet another bowl you will be combining the white flour, baking powder and soda while adding the pinch of salt. After mixing the dry ingredients together you can add it to the egg mixture and continue to blend together by hand. Now divide the batter you have created into the two bread pans. Let the pans rest for about 20 minutes prior to baking in order to allow the flavors to mingle properly.

Bake your bread for one hour and then check it by placing a toothpick into it. If the toothpick comes out clean the bread it done. Remove them from the oven and cool on a wire rack.

There you have it all in a nutshell, an excellent method of preserving your zucchini from your summer garden for homemade wintertime bread.

Dehydrating Zucchini and Making Bread
By Joseph Parish



I will be experimenting with converting my chocolate zucchini bread and will share when I get it all ironed out. [o=

Also here is a recipe for sliced zucchini.



Zucchini Chips
*************

Dry sliced zucchini at 120 degrees for 12-18 hours

Eat as a snack alone or dip into favorite dip or use in ...




Italian Zucchini Casserole
***************************
serves 4

2 cups boiling water
2 cups dried zucchini
1 medium onion thinly sliced
2 Tablespoons butter
1 cup fresh or canned tomato ( I will be using fresh or roasted sweet peppers)
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup cheese

Pour boiling water over dried zucchini slices. Let Soak 1 to 2 hours. Drain. Cook onion slices in butter or margarine until transparent. Add drained zucchini slices. Cook and stir 5 minutes. Add tomatoes or sweet peppers and season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour into casserole and top with grated cheese.
Bake in 350*F oven 25 to 30 minutes, until lightly browned.


Having tons of fun in the Kitchen. [o=

Joining my friend Lori in...


16 comments:

  1. oooh, I hadn't thought to dehydrate zucchini! Thanks for sharing the recipes on how you will use it.

    Have a great weekend!
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were just given a large zucchini. I had no idea you could dehydrate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I have never dried zucchini...just froze it so it would be ready for bread...I will remember this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, this gives me ideas. I don't have a dehydrator, but I know someone who does. I may try it with tomatoes and see how that goes. Mary, I personally think you are amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are working things out. I've never dehydrated anything before, glad you are finding a way to make it work for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dehydrating the zucchini? Why didn't I think of that? I'm definitely going to do this!

    And the spinning wheel that I am using is a Louet. :)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always think that dehydrating looks like fun. I might just have to buy one of those things! Thanks for the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never would have thought to dehydrate my zucchini; what a great idea! Time to harvest is certainly upon us. :)

    Blessings! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Curds, they are for eating!! :) ~L

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, my friend! It's been too long! I like the idea of the zucchini cassarole. It looks like the perfect side dish, or even a main dish for my vegetarian son. (Mom and Dad might help him out a bit--smile). A question, though: if you are soaking the dried zucchini slices in boiling water, could you not start with just regular, non-dehydrated zucchini? Did I miss something? Thanks, and blessings, Mary. I'm going to read more and see how the family is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary you are goldmine of wonderful information!
    Thank you for this!
    I love zucchinis and I make bread with it but I've never dried any.
    Another great idea - there's just no stopping you is there! lol!
    Have blessed day dear one :-)
    love..Trish

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your zucchini recipes are fantastic, and I love the way you preserve your zucchini too. I especially like the sound of the zucchini bread. I'm visiting via Happy in Dole Valley - it's nice to discover your lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A food dehydrator is one of the things on my wish list. I would love one.

    (And thank you, Mary, for your prayers. I really need and appreciate and feel them.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Belinda go here for fresh zucchini casserole recipes....

    http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,baked_zucchini_casserole,FF.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooooh, what a fantastic idea w/the zucchini! Someone from church has my dehydrator (I haven't seen it for aver a year), and I need to get it back now. I've already frozen my green beans, so don't have any to dry, but what a great idea. It'll be stew-season soon enough, LOL! Sorry I didn't get here last week...just super busy and overwhelmed still.

    Love you much!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  16. I tried for my 1st time last night to dehydrate. I used a trombone zucchini and sliced it about 3/8" thick, dehydrated for 12 hours at 135. They seem leathery and have been soaking one now for about4 hours and it still seems somewhat leathery. I need help! Am I doing this right. I would like to be able to store more of my trombones for use in soups and casseroles until my next crop comes in next year. I am not at all a cook, but love to experiment with dishes.

    Any help appreciated,

    Blain

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, each sweet comment brightens my day. Blessings!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...