“Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage/journey to Zion.”- Psalm 84:5

Friday, September 30, 2011

Crab Apple ( or Apple) Jelly Recipe


This is apple time and one of our traditions is to go picking and make crab apple jelly each year. My ds Luke and I are allergic to pectin so this is a perfect jelly for us. It is so scrumptious and I have to say it is beautiful too. I love how it seems to glow and glimmer in the sunshine. [o= If you don't have a source of crab apples then you can use this same recipe and make Granny Smith Apple Jelly but it won't be the same red colour. So here is the recipe!



CRAB APPLE ( or Apple) JELLY RECIPE

Fill a large pot with ripe cut in half crab apples or cut in quarters Granny Smith apples that had stems and ends removed. (peels and cores need to be included for jelly to work)
Cover with water so it just covers apples & bring to boil on medium high heat.
Simmer for 50 minutes until mushy-soft.

Place cooked crabapples & liquid in strainer (lined with cheesecloth)

over large bowl until juice is strained. Later I gather the cheese cloth and tie a string around to close then lift and hang it above a bowl or pot to get every last drop of juice. ( I will show a picture later today or tomorrow to demonstrate this)
Measure juice = __ c. (Make note of this quantity for later.)

Sterilize canning jars , 10 minutes in boiling water.

Combine prepared juice in large pot. Add equal amounts of sugar to juice. Stir on med-high heat until it comes to a full rolling boil. Boil hard for 40 minutes, stirring once or twice, testing for jelly stage near the end. Skim off foam if necessary.

Pour into hot sterilized jars to within 1/4 inch of top. Wipe rims clean for a tight seal. Put on lids and screw tops "finger tight". Allow to sit overnight on a tea towel on counter to seal.


Joining my sweet friend Lori in...

Plans4You



15 comments:

  1. Mary, those are sooooo pretty!!! I love that color, it makes me happy just to look at it :-)

    Pectin occurs naturally in all apple peels and citrus peels...so you're probably allergic to the chemicals added and used in processing commmercial pectin, rather than pectin itself. Until I began reading about pectin (when I was researching using agar-agar), I never knew what they did to make that powder we used to buy at jam-making time...UGH!!!

    Thanks so much for joining up this week, my sweet friend!

    {{{HUGS}}},
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found a recipe that works for you. It looks yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, next week I will post my grape "jam" story, but I think after reading your story I realize what I didn't do right. I brought my grape mush and skins to a boil (as per the recipe), and after boiling for 15 minutes or so, my thermometer read 220 degrees F (gel stage). I kept boiling for a little bit, but figured that since the thermometer test was the most accurate (according to the recipe), I just canned everything at that point. But you boil yours for 40 minutes! So maybe I just needed to let it boil for that long.

    I had never done it before, and the grape "jam" (which is more like syrup) is very tasty, but I want it more spreadable than it is. It's awesome on top of vanilla ice cream, that's for sure!

    I'm so glad you shared this recipe today; I'll have to get back in the kitchen and experiment.

    Bye for now!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. The color of your jelly reminds me of the wild plum jelly my mama used to make, when I was a kid. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Mary...it looks so pretty. The color is so vibrant! How delicious to eat this in the winter when it is truly cold outside...a bit of summer in a jar :)

    By the way, the pain is slowly going away sweet Mary :D

    m.b.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, I'm curious if the trees you pick from grow on your property. The color of the jelly is luscious! I'm sure your family will enjoy all the work you put into each and every jar come the cold days of winter. I've never made jam or jelly without pectin, but you've inspired me to give it a try! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe with us. :) Blessings, hugs, and smiles to you! ~Lisa

    PS: The hubby says, "You're welcome!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a matter of fact I DO have a source for crab apples! This is something I've never done but have always thought about trying... Yes!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I neeeed to find crab apples! The pink is so pretty! Thank you for sharing your recipe with us. I would love to make this, although maybe not this year yet :o(.

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa,
    The crab apple tree isn't on our land. It is down the hill and it is on no man's land. Meaning no one owns the tree. We always keep our eyes on it and soon as it is ready we pick! So we don't loose our opportunity. [o= We are in the plans of planting some in our orchard.

    Blessings !
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Mary, the scent must have been heavenly :)

    m.b.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary they look beautiful - what wonderful colours!
    Thanks for sharing your recipe.
    No crabapples here, but I can get Granny Smiths ok :-)
    bless you..Trish

    ReplyDelete
  12. hello mary
    the grap-apple-jelly looks wonderful.the color is grandious.thanks for sharing the recipe.
    a nice blog.
    have a nice time,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
  13. Peeking in... *waving* Hi!!!! Quick question - you don't process these in a hot water bath? Do they seal and keep as long?

    Thank you, sweetie!!!
    love,
    Shani
    p.s. Holding you in my prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  14. No I don't do a water bath after I put the lids on. They seal themselves and yes they last as long. I have had jelly jars up to two years before. [o=

    Shani dearest I am glad you peeked in! I have been wondering about you a lot!

    Blessings<><
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. By golly, you're right, lttn! No hot water bath necessary, and they all sealed up fabulously. I found a recipe that uses the leftover apples to make apple butter... I'm going to try that with my next batch on Friday. Thanks for the recipe, sweetie!
    God Bless,
    Shani xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, each sweet comment brightens my day. Blessings!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...