“Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage/journey to Zion.”- Psalm 84:5

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A Light Unto My Path


Two weeks ago my hubby and I had gone to lead our weekly Bible study group. Earlier that day we purposefully parked the car down the hill from our house. This way we could for sure get down the hill without problems with the ice and snow on the road. That meant later hiking down the hill again with our flashlight ( we live out in the country and have no street lamps to light the way) and hiking poles and hiking to back up again. I wished I had a picture to show what it looked like but alas this picture I found will have to do.

On the way home after we parked once again, but this time even further down the road, we started to hike up the hill. My hubby took the lead with the flashlight. I stared at his feet intensely to see what little I could in the way of where we were going and what just laid on the path. ( and tried not to stumble on anything) Sometimes ( not meaning to) my hubby's hand would shift the flashlight to the side as he would swing his arm while walking. When he did this it the path would go black and I felt lost with no light. But as quickly as it left the light came back. While we hiked this verse came to me.

(KJV) Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

The Bible says in Revelations 21 v 23, The Lamb (Jesus) is the lamp. Thy word `O Lord` is a lamp, and a light for me to follow, so that each step that I take will be one of security in The Bible says in Revelations 21 v 23, The Lamb (Jesus) is the lamp. Thy word `O Lord` is a lamp, and a light for me to follow, so that each step that I take will be one of security in You.As we read God’s word, Jesus gives us direction by the Holy Spirit to which clear path to take.

With our flashlight it shone down at our feet to light onto our path, so we would not stumble or fall.The word of God is a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path, in this darkened world. Darkness cannot overcome the light, but light expels the darkness and overcomes it. His light keeps me on the right path. His Lamp is a light unto my feet. That I can walk and not stumble. The Bible says in John 8:12

John 8:12

King James Version (KJV)

12Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

I love how in our everyday experiences our Lord speaks to us and shows us what we need to be re affirmed and what we need to encourage us.

My friend, may His word be a lamp unto your feet and a light unto your path..

21 comments:

  1. Amen! And, what pretty snow! We are drab here, except for the green grass which is loving all the rain and warner temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!!!! So true!! I am so glad He lights my path, I just have to follow the light. Great word Mary!!!
    ~Chasity

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise Him!! Thanks for the lovely devotion this morning Mary. My day will be brighter for it!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an excellent object lesson. It makes the verses so much more meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blessings dear friend. I love the snow. The kids are hoping for snow for Christmas again this year.
    Blessings,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember a pastor once telling how he answered people who would ask if God "created" evil. He used the same word picture as you've described to explain that evil is like darkness. It's what's there when you remove the light (God/Jesus). Great lesson, thanks for sharing it, Mary!

    Blessings and {{{HUGS}}},
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen a decent fall of snow since I was a kid.. mind you I probably wouldn't appreciate it like I used to either.
    Your photo and words are very beautiful.
    Thank you for them
    blessings NEll

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Mary, that is one very dark night...but He only promised to show us = one step at a time. All we have to do is trust that the next step is there and to completely have faith that He is there -
    ALWAYS!

    Great illustration my friend :)

    Love you,

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such beautiful words and a sweet way to remember them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an excellent lesson, Mary! Thanks so much for sharing. Now I've got Amy Grant's old, old song "Thy Word" running through my mind...

    Blessings to you! Wish we had some of that snow; it's been c-o-l-d here, but no snow.

    Blessings,

    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful lesson on God's Word!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a perfect picture he gave you of those passages. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Mary! (I really should be going to bed right now...!)

    I also love how everyday events and things point out the truths in God's Word. He is ever faithful to teach us about Him, in both big and small ways.

    Have a beautiful day tomorrow!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great illustration, dear friend. :)
    Blessings and ((hugs)),
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Funny!! I'll have to let me gaming son see it...maybe he'll buy me one! haha

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful picture of God's guidance and protection, Mary!
    I love it when Scripture comes alive in our daily life like that!
    It's something you don't forget.
    That was some cold old night you had there, brr!!
    Actually, I love snow..but we don't get it anywhere as deep as you do!
    I think you and hubby were wonderful to leave your warm home and go out in that weather to lead the Bible Study.
    You are a true blessing!
    lots of love..Trish

    ReplyDelete
  17. A good word....thanks for sharing those thoughts.

    I suspect that the Bible is full of such things that would have much more impact if we did not live such modern lives. So many things that used to be everyday experiences that we have not experienced or rarely do.

    May our hearts be tender to His leading.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Mary,
    I just watched the Christmas video on your side bar and have a one-word response - "Amen!" This is the very thing my hubby and I are discussing. We will celebrate this year, but this will more than likely be our last. We heard a speaker at this year's Labor Day Bible conference speak on this issue, and I was shocked at the pagan roots of Christmas!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings and ((hugs)),
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Mary,
    I'll be eagerly waiting to read your post. :)
    Blessings and ((hugs)),
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this, Mary! Thank you for sharing.

    Blessings!
    Sharity

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful, Mary. The light the Lord gives us is often just enough to see the next step. When we start walking with him, we have to take the first step of faith before we can see where to go with the next one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, each sweet comment brightens my day. Blessings!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...