“Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage/journey to Zion.”- Psalm 84:5

Thursday, December 29, 2011

How We Celebrated In December



A sample of what it looked like outside during one of the nights of Hanukkah.

I am back now from a unexpected blogging break. I guess I needed it and was blessed with time focusing 100% on my family during the holiday. I had mentioned to a few friends that I wanted to share a bit how we celebrate during this time. Here is a simple post trying to describe what we do in our family.

We have shifted our focus off of Christmas but not off of Christ. We have over the years lighted the Hanukkah candles in the menorah that was my husband's great grandfathers.



We focused on Jesus being the true light of the world and our Savor and all what that means. We really enjoyed using Robin Sampson's devotions in "Celebrating The Biblical Holidays". It gives the history of Hanukkah and ideas on how to celebrate it. It showed how back then the Jews were persecuted and how they had to stand up against the Hellenization that was happening to their beliefs. I saw some parallel to what has happened to us today ( but we of course don't have that kind of persecution today).

My decorations were really only the menorah and it's table. We spent a lot of time frying food... some traditional and some not but it was fried. Some of the things we fried were homemade fries, latkes with yogurt or apple sause (2 different nights), and...

...rosettes


(I wanted to post this on the Friday during Hanukkah but I didn't get to it. I hope you enjoy a light hearted funny.)



....old fashioned doughnuts



...to mention a few. All was done simply and focused on our Lord. We also decided to give gifts on the first night of Hanukkah with the mindset of celebrating the gift of light from our Lord.



and...

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful post...thank you my friend for sharing :)

    Love you,

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply wonderful!!!!
    I am making plans to do a Jesse Tree with my kids next year during the advent season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your post. Have a wonderful New Year filled with happiness and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, dear Mary. As my hubby and I more deeply discussed to - or not to - celebrate Christmas, he is of the conviction that we should celebrate it...only very low-key: few, if any, decorations...and keep the focus on the Lord Jesus. And since he is my head, I have submitted to him. But I love this post...and thanks for sharing it.
    Many blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have wanted to start the Hanukkah celebration in my home but something always happens that I don't. Looks like your family had a lovely holiday. Peace to you in the new year...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds and looks like fun. And such yummy treats. Glad you had a good December.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this...I mentioned how we bring Hanukkah into our celebration this year on a post also. Thanks for sharing how your family celebrates...what a blessing.
    We still celebrate Christmas and each year it becomes more rich in meaning to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great traditions! Love the sky in the first picture. I pray you have a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your family's celebration with us! The desire to grow in our individual relationships with the Lord and to glorify HIM more and more through our traditions is one that is evident in the lives of so many bloggers, including you. :) May HE be magnified in your life and in the lives of all your readers, Mary!

    Blessings to you and yours in the new year, my friend, ~Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds lovely, meaningful, and very special. Thank you for sharing your celebration with us.

    Blessings and Happy New Year!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, each sweet comment brightens my day. Blessings!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...