“Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage/journey to Zion.”- Psalm 84:5

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My Soaked Grain Bread Recipe





Ask and You Shall Receive...that is what happened to me.

God answered my prayers about my health...more than I could have dreamed. I have over the last year and half been on a journey of healing. I have learned that for years my body was highly stressed and toxic. The stress was out of my control and the Lord helped me through it. The toxic part was my doing but I didn't know I was inflicting myself. You might be asking what in the world? Well, I see there is a common issue in many people trying to get healthy again and starting to eat whole grains but they don't understand one very important thing. That is... we need to soak our grains before baking or cooking them. When I cried out to the Lord the second time for more healing he showed me the book " The Maker's Diet" by Jordan Rubin. He introduced to me the some of why and how to soak grains for food. Here is one video that shows how to sprout grains also.

This one cooking skill among others things ( which I will share over the next little while) has changed my state of health dramatically. I have seen my son's and my allergies diminish, my adrenal gland fatigue gone away, clearing up of my skin, no more hypoglycemic reactions. I use to almost faithfully fall asleep reading out loud to the boys after lunch. I couldn't understand why but little did I know I was having a hypoglycemic reaction. I would have to take a 15 minute power nap everyday to be able to function. This always made me nervous if I had to drive somewhere at that time. Now I don't have to worry about that, praise the Lord. I have one friend who is diabetic and was thinking she had to give up grains and I encouraged her to start soaking grains the amazing thing is she had no reaction when eating them. That was HUGE. My mother in law who has avoided grains for years because of the hypoglycemic sugar spike issue. She has come over and ate our soaked grain pancakes and had no reaction. I am dumbfounded at all these personal testimonies. Soaking grains about 100 years or more ago was common but became a almost lost skill. There has been a re-birth of this and one book I cannot recommend enough is Sally Fallon's book Nourishing Traditions... The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and Diet Dictocrats. Or you can get a lot of the same recipes and know how's HERE. I will be sharing other sites and recipes that we have found we love over time too, I promise.


But right now I would like to share my favorite bread recipe that I have tweeked and developed from another recipe. It has been a BIG winner where ever I serve it.



Homemade Whole Soaked Grain Bread Recipe


*Makes 4 loaves

*soak together for 8-24 hours, I highly recommend if possible closer to the 24 hours because it gets light and fluffier.
  • 12 cups of ground whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup of acid base....for example kefir, cultured buttermilk, whey, or 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar plus 3/4 ths cup water.
  • 3 cups of warm filtered water
  • 2 cups old fashioned or rolled oats
  • 1 cup of honey ( what I do because my son is highly allergic to honey I fill my measuring cup halfway with sugar and fill the rest with boiled water stir and cool and then add to ingredients)
  • 3/4 ths cup of soft butter ( you can also use melted coconut oil)
  • 1/2 cup flax seeds, optional
  • 2 Tablespoons of poppy seeds, optional
then add ....

  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3 Tablespoons active dry yeast
  • 2 Tablespoons sea salt
  • dough enhancer... a good pinch of powdered ginger, 3 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, 8 Tablespoons of vital wheat gluten.

  • Knead the dough for 10 minutes
  • butter very well a big bowl, a bit extra on the bottom because you will flip dough over to coat dough all around.
  • cover ( personally I use my canner lid ) and let it rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours in warm place.
  • tip... I turn on the over at 350 for 2-3 minutes while I am mixing bread and turn off and turn on oven light.
  • If you have time punch down and let it rise for 45 minutes for a second rising. If not go to the next step.
  • Shape, place dough in buttered bread pans, make 3 slits with a serrated knife 1/4 inch deep, and let dough rise again for 30-45 minutes. I usually re-heat the oven at 150-170*F degrees for a couple of minutes and then turn off before I place the loaves in for the final rising.

  • Leave loaves in and turn on the oven to 350*F and bake for 30-45 minutes. Bread is done when you can insert a cooking thermometer in the bottom of the bread loaf and it reaches 200*F .





  • Remove from bread pans and cool.


From my kitchen to yours...

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful loaves of bread! So glad that you have learned so much and are feeling so much healthier.

    Have a lovely weekend.

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary,
    Just "met" you on Pinterest. Seems we like a lot about each other's boards. Came over to also join your blog.
    I love Janette too. She is a wonderful blogging friend and encourager. Come and visit me if you like: sandy-faithhopeandlove.blogspot.com
    Blessings~
    Oh, and your bread is beautiful and I'm sure delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on so, so many accomplishments, Mary! Your loaves look delicious. I'm sure it must be truly satisfying to find a recipe and method that not only bakes up into tasty loaves but also that has been so healing for your family!

    I am curious about how long from start to finish (after soaking, that is) it takes you. If you soak overnight, what time does your bread usually come out of the oven?

    Looking forward to trying your recipe!

    Blessings, ~Lisa

    PS: I've bread in the oven and sourdough starter on the counter! Now I'm off to knitting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I let it soak for the full 24 hours then it takes me about 26 to 27 hours to complete the bread. But most of that time is left to leaving the bread alone in soaking or rising. It I let it soak for the full 24 hours I start in the morning one day and finish it the next day. You just need to think a day ahead. But you and just let it soak for 8 hours instead. I can't wait to see pics of what is going on in your kitchen soon. [o=

      -Mary

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Mary. :) No signs of life in my starter this a.m. We'll see if anything happens by later today; if not, I guess I'll just start over. Sourdough can be so finicky! Have a blessed Lord's Day! ~Lisa

      Delete
  4. Finally :) I am copying the recipe tomorrow and trying it this week.

    love you,

    m.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that book, but I haven't read it yet. Do you grind your own flour or just use store bought?
    Glad you're doing well! Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do grind my own flour. Thanks for asking I didn't clarify that in my post.

      -Mary

      Delete
  6. The bread looks delicious. It makes three loaves so even though it takes a little time (really just wait time), that's a gracious plenty to last a while. I assume it freezes well, too.

    I'm clicking the "whys and hows" video to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've incorporated many of the principles from Nourishing Traditions. Thanks for prompting the soaked grain. I'm eager to try your recipe, it looks delicious!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what a great testamony. I am so glad you are feeling better! I need to get the book. I have known for years that when I do not eat flour products I feel better, no rashes, no fatique, and so much more. I really need to do better for myself and my family.
    Bread looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh, Mary, this looks wonderful! I've been baking bread, but haven't tried soaked yet. I will be trying your recipe later this week. Thank you for sharing.

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad it's working for you!

    I'm on the verge of trying it again, but we just started sprouting beans again, and I've leaned not to do too much at once.

    Oh, if only my afternoon slumps could be cured by sprouted grains! Mind you, we often don't have grains at lunch, so that can't be it.

    I hope you're feeling well and that your shoulder is healed.

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love learning from you..either here or on pinterest. Thanks so much for sharing, I am going to start researching and understanding also. Now to get your energy to do all of this and not cave in.
    This looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to have make this. It looks so delicious. I'll pin it when Pinterest is running again.

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum yum! We just started soaking our oatmeal overnight w/some kefir (ala Nourishing Traditions recipe), it's soooo moist and yummy then in the morning when we cook it! I will do bread next, will try your recipe here :-) So it makes 3 loaves?

    I am in some kind of "geriatric Twilight Zone" here...MUCH elder care happening, even the dog! It's all just dumped on top of us, and doesn't seem to quit, but in a month hopefully we will have grandma's house on the market and her safely in the assisted living place that's 3 minutes from my house, and we can just settle back into some kind of routine for a little while. Ack!

    Love you!
    Lori
    PS: Yes, I DO have a Skype acct...I'll email you my name!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I'm inspired! Extremely helpful info specially the remaining part :) I maintain such information a lot. I was looking for this certain information for a long time. Thanks and best of luck.
    Here is my website ; Underwater Treadmill

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, each sweet comment brightens my day. Blessings!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...