“Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage/journey to Zion.”- Psalm 84:5

Friday, July 27, 2012

Healthy Sprouted Whole Wheat English Muffins

It all starts with wheat berries, jars, window screen mesh (or maybe cheese cloth) and water.  
  • first you fill the jar one third with wheat berries.


  • Then rinse the wheat berries till the water is pretty clear.  Make sure you swish your hand in there every once in awhile to make sure you get it clean.

Don't worry if some wheat berries come out.  If they are too light they are dead and you don't want them anyways. 

  • fill the jar with water and let them soak overnight or for at least eight hours.  
  • When they are done soaking then rinse once or twice more and drain with cheese cloth or mesh on the tops of the jars.  
  • Once good and drained then lay the jar on its side on the counter.
  • You will rinse two to three times a day while sprouting but if you live in a hot climate you might want to rinse every few hours or so.
  • Once you see little nibs ( the sprout) you can then dehydrate your wheat berries in the oven or a dehydrator. Here is a video I learned from a long time ago.






Store your sprouted wheat berries in the fridge up to two weeks or in the freezer for longer.  For convenience I suggest to grind into flour and then put it in the freezer till needed.


Now for making the English Muffins....



I have to share that I used Betty Crocker's English Muffin recipe with a some healthier modifications.  I don't think I can not change a recipe now days. 

  • grind your wheat berries or pull out your ground sprouted wheat berry flour. ( I would say if you sprout your own wheat berries you are saving half the cost of buying sprouted wheat flour and that is a huge savings for not a lot of work) 
  • then pour one cup of warm water in your bowl and then...
  • add 1teaspoon of ground celtic/sea salt 
  • 2 Tablespoons of honey
  • 1/4 cup of melted butter or coconut oil
  • one rounded Tablespoon of yeast
  •  3 cups of ground sprouted wheat
  • and stir with a spoon ( I prefer a wooden spoon) till pretty mixed and then knead the bread in the bowl till it has a nice bread dough texture.






The recipe calls for sprinkling cornmeal on the cookie sheet to rise the cut out english muffins but I really recommend grinding some sprouted wheat berries a bit courser like cornmeal instead. But if you can't then you could use cornmeal or I have even used flax or sesame seeds in a pinch. ( as you can see from the last picture) 

  • So roll out your dough about 1/2 of a inch thick and cut with your muffin cutter.


Don't worry about improvising in your cooking and baking.  I got creative by noticing that my wide mouth mason jar was big enough to use as a muffin cutter.  It worked great!

With the left over scraps I just fill my hand enough for one muffin  and knead just a little and shape into a muffin till all scraps are used up.

  • lay on course ground wheat berries or cornmeal dusted cookie trays , cover with tea towel and rise for 30 minutes or until nice and puffy.


  • pre heat your griddle to a medium heat and then cook and flip every two minutes on each side ...eight times total. ( a total of 16 minutes) 



I love how this bread only takes a hour from start to finish.  And I also love how you don't have the cost of heating up your oven.  It's a great way to save money.  Down fall [o=  ...Once you have tasted homemade English Muffins you won't want to go back to store bought.


13 comments:

  1. These look beautiful, Mary! And I'm sure they are delicious too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought of making my own english muffins! What an idea! Yours look professional, too. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look yummy, dear Mary...I can almost smell them all the way over here! ;) Hope your week-end is wonderful!
    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    OK, I'll be copying the recipe and doing it on Monday for lunch.

    Love you,

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you did a great job. They are very yummy looking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful tutorial, Mary! You answered some questions I've had about dehydrating the berries. Can't wait to find some time and try this. Beautiful job...and mouthwatering, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have ANY idea how amazing you are to me? Seriously, I have never even made my own English muffins (and we love them here), and you make your own flour. You just rock and inspire.

    They look delicious to me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You amaze me! What a terrific tutorial, my friend. I'm not sure if or when (eventually, I'm sure) I'll try the sprouting, but I'm inspired now and can see from your photos that it wouldn't really be all that difficult. Thanks so much for sharing what you've been up to and what you've been learning. Can't wait to see what's next!

    Blessings, ~Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary,
    I've been wishing to "see" some sprouted wheat in action. Thank you for this.
    The Man-of-the-House is fond of English muffins. He buys the ready-made ones
    whenever he walks into the grocery store. I've had my eye on your muffins since
    a previous post set my mouth watering. I will make a batch, yet.
    Mary, please feel free to email me about the interest you shared earlier.
    A blog friend,
    Karen A.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...go girl..I am learning a lot from you, don't know yet if I have your energy to do it all...these look great.

    I thought of you when I posted "Hand Me Another Piece"...I think God has been doing that for you and your weekend retreat was one of the pieces He added

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay, the recipe is posted! Thank you for sharing this, and I look forward to making these (though probably with un-sprouted wheat for a bit until we're unpacked and I'm back in my kitchen groove)soon. Hoping we can catch up soon. Tons of unpacking to do here, and in the midst of it all my egg lady called with tomatoes for me to can - this week. You just have to laugh sometimes, don't you?
    Have a lovely week, my long-lost friend!
    love,
    Shani xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do they need warmth to rise?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, each sweet comment brightens my day. Blessings!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...